Monday, September 22, 2008

Top Ten About Spokane

So I have had a really hard time adjusting to life here in Spokane. I am getting homesick for Utah and Seattle, this place seems so foreign to us. Plus Shad is at school all day, and I haven't found a job yet, so I think that I am little more homesick than him! So I've decided that i am going to make this a positive experience, and I want to list all of the great things about Spokane! So first I will list ten random facts, and then ten things I LOVE about living here!! I want feedback! 

Ten Facts about Spokane
1. Spokane's Motto: 'Near Nature. Near Perfect' 

2. Nickname: The Lilac City. Every year it holds a 10-day Lilac Festival to celebrate Spring! 

3. Its the seconds largest city in Washington, and the 3rd largest in the Pacific Northwest behind Seattle and Portland. And it is the largest city between Minneapolis and Seattle!

4. It was founded in 1872 as 'Spokane Falls'

5. Spokane means "Children of the Sun" in local Native Language. 

6. Father's Day was started here on June 19th, 1910

7. It was voted on of 10 'All-America Cities' in 1974 and 2004 

8. The Spokane Falls, located in the middle of downtown, is one of the largest urban waterfalls in the United States. 

9. Spokane is located 18 miles from Idaho, and we are in Spokane Valley, which is even CLOSER...weird.  

10. It was home to Bing Crosby and John Stockton!

Ten Things I Love about Spokane
1. Weather. It has been so sunny and lovely here, with the exception of the last two days. And it is not too hot either, its perfect. (So far)

2. Our Apartment. I love our apartment, and I love where its located. Its quiet nice. 

3. Downtown. Its so fun to walk around downtown at the park, and its a nice city. Plus we live so close to downtown Spokane, it's nice to have so much to do around. 

4. National Parks. There are 5 National Parks close by, which for National Park junkies like us, its GREAT! I'm very excited to explore this area. 

5. Coeur D'Alene. It is so beautiful over there, and its only like a 20 minute drive! 

6. Our Ward. We have a very nice ward, who have been wonderfully welcoming to us. We've already made some friends. 

7. Lakes and Rivers everywhere! We need a boat, because there is 76 Lakes around! Whoo. 

8. Its close to family and Seattle. My parents live in Seattle (Auburn) and so does Shad's sister. Its only a 4 hour drive. Not bad. We LOVE Seattle. 

9. There are lots and lots of parks around. There is a nice park behind us, we haven't had a chance to go there yet, but I heard its got waterfalls. I'm very excited to venture over there and have a picnic.

10. Gonzaga. Its a great school, and has a very nice campus. I'm so proud of Shad for getting into school there.

So, there are my thoughts on Spokane. It was a good pick me up! Who wants to come visit us now??? 

Here are some pics of Downtown Spokane and the Spokane Falls: 




  

7 comments:

Brad and Kjirstin said...

Well I gotta admit that the first ten things didn't peak my interest, but the second ten things did make me want to come visit. I love that waterfall. The rivers here don't really move they are more like lazy rivers, and I don't think the elevation ever changes enough to make a waterfall. I am also lusting for all your national parks, we have a total of zero in Wisconsin. We'll make a deal... you get a boat and we will come visit. hehe.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brad and Kjirstin said...

Wow you are getting junk posts on your blog, what is up with the world these days???

Adamson Family said...

I hope that we get to see you again soon. I felt so bad to dash out on you. Your next visit I'll make it up to you and we'll have to do something amazingly fun.

Jason and Shalise Staples said...

Hi guys! I know exactly how you feel, and I can name 10 things why Spokane is better then bellingham if it makes you feel better. Jason and I really want to visit spokane and you just gave us a good reason to do it.

the S family said...

I love this post! Spokane sounds like a really great town, and it has a lot of cool history! I finally did the tag! I love your background and the pics! And I am going to copy your post about Konner!

Anonymous said...

You painted a very lovely picture!! Did you move to Pleasantville or Spokane?? Haha... I'm glad you are liking it. Provo misses you!