Monday, March 4, 2013

Potty Training

*WARNING: This is a post about bodily functions. It is a journal post, and about a milestone that my dear Owen is getting closer to mastering! So don't say you weren't warned...* 

Last week we started officially Potty Training. 


Owen has been going in the potty for months now. Nearly every time we would sit him on the potty he would produce something. He had potty charts, stickers, rewards, etc. But it was me that was never fully committed or consistant. It was just easier to slip a diaper on him. 

Well, I finally told Shad and myself that after we move and get somewhat settled we will potty train Owen. And now, with baby sister's due date fast approaching there were no more excuses. I am not going to have 3 kids in diapers. I've bragged about my genius enough for you all to know that he is more than capable to mastering the toilet. 

So last Saturday (Feb. 23rd), we said goodbye to diapers. And hello to big boy Thomas underwear! 

The first two days were great. He did really well, there were not too many accidents. He was excited, I was excited. But it was also the weekend, something I planned so that Shad could be home with me. However, I did not think about the part that we are not really home all that much on weekends. With Shad crazy work hours, and him getting home usually after 7 when the kids are in bed or close to in bed... that leaves Saturday as our only day out as a family. So we didn't stay in all day training. 

By Monday the novelty wore off. He was acting out. Tantrums galore. Crying. Just being all around naughty. Not just about potty training... just not really listening at all. Tuesday was worse. I was in tears, he was in tears. It was ugly. Wednesday we took a total break from underwear and all potty training. Back to square one. 

Then Thursday came. I decided to get back to it full on, fully committed... all day indoors, and an endless supply of juice and water. I installed a better, more structured rewards system. 1 M&M for pee, 2 for poo. Of course, my ever logical too smart for me three year old, blurted out "That makes 3!!! If I go poo and pee in the toilet I get 3 M&Ms!" Okay really, how could I say no!? He had about 7 accidents... 5 on the new carpet. Ugh. BUT, he was sweet to me, being a very good boy, and was  willing to keep trying. (Yes!) 

Friday was even better! Not one accident! And since Friday (March 1st) he has been diaper and accident free! Whoo hoo! Even at our 3 hour block of church! Now, I'm NOT saying he is fully trained. He still walks around the house most of the time in just a shirt, underwear, and thick socks...just in case! And I am still scared to leave the house with him in underwear; naps and nights are another story. He is in pull-ups for long outings, naps, and nights. He does not wake up dry in any sense. But... he knows when he has to go, he holds it, and he quickly goes once he is sat on the potty. I'm so proud. 

Potty training is very scary, stressful, and messy! Especially to a momma who hasn't done it before! Which may have been the cause of my little stint of pre-term labor symptoms and contractions in the Hospital this weekend! (okay, probably not... but it is really stressful!) But it also makes me realize that baby girl is coming SOON... like, really soon. And I'm so glad that at least I will not have 3 in diapers! 

Owen just this morning.... bed head and all. :) 


Congrats, Owen! You are officially my big boy! 

9 comments:

Tara said...

I have always said that potty training is THE worst thing a parent has to do! I had three and only one was easy to potty train. The other two took YEARS.

Congrats on getting one down!

F said...

Yay Owen! It seems like once we got to this same point with brooklin the naps and nights just kind of naturally happened. I'm hoping that's the case with Owen too! Good job momma. :)

Rosalie said...

Soooo exciting! And he looks so cute even with morning hair and on the toilet!!

Rachel said...

YAY! So proud of him! And so is he! You can tell in that last picture--I love it!

Anonymous said...

love to sit him on my lap and see how far my c==k goes in his tiht lil ass

Anonymous said...

me nephew can take about 4" he is3

Anonymous said...

PEDOPHILE!

Anonymous said...

https://bskeaf.de/invite/i=22527

Anonymous said...

https://reinhold9.de/invite/i=2849

Best one