Monday, February 25, 2013

Birthday Boys!

Okay- this is my last birthday post for a while I promise! :) 

We have a two and a half week span of birthday mania in my family! My Dad kicks off the birthday fun with his birthday being January 20th. It was on a Sunday this year, so we really didn't do anything. Not that we ever really do anything... my parents are pretty low key when it comes to their birthdays. But we did have a little dessert together, and celebrate as a family another year of my Dad! He is certainly the best Dad I could have ever asked for. A wonderful example of service, love, and of the Savior. He is so kind, generous, and a GREAT Grandpa! He does SO much for Shad, the boys, and I; and i don't think I could ever adequately thank him. 

My mom and us chipped in and purchased my the Dad "NHL Center Ice" package, so he now has access to all the Hockey games in HD he could ask for to root on his fellow Finns, and his favorite player in his supposed last year playing! 

And we made a giant cookie. A family tradition and usual. We are not cake lovers, but chocolate chip cookies, Oooooh yeah. Owen was the perfect helper making the dough and loved making a 'Reeeeeeeeeeeeallly Biiiiiiiiiiiiiig cookie!" He kept asking "Will Grandpa share his cookie with me?"

Yup, he shared his cookie! Mmmm...


Sad, I didn't get a picture of the actual birthday boy! 


Next on the birthday roll is Nathan. January 29th. Obviously he is only a 1 year old, so the day passed by without really any celebrations. Once and a while Owen would come over and say "Happy Birthday, Nathan! You're One!" I decided that I couldn't let the WHOLE day pass without a little treat. So Owen helped me pick out some brownie mix and ice cream to celebrate that night when Daddy came home. 

We sang to Nathan, with Shad's mom watching over Skype. 

Singing. 


A little help from big brother to blow out the candle!


And he was a BIG fan of the brownies and ice cream...


...So was Owen! Any reason for a treat! 


(I had just given them a bath before bedtime and didn't let them go too crazy with the treats! Doesn't make for as fun pictures...oh well!)



My mom has a birthday squeezed in there as well!! Her birthday is February 4th! At this point we had moved into our new house... so we hardly saw Grandma on her actual birthday. Just enough to wish her a Happy Day. :) My Dad treated her to the Cheesecake Factory... her new favorite! Where she indulged in a delicious Red Velvet Cheesecake. (Which you get for FREE if its your birthday!! Did you know that?? I am totally going there on my birthday next!) I think you all know how awesome my mom is! She is one of the sweetest ladies I know. I'm lucky to be her daughter. She is SO SO SO helpful with the boys and I'm not sure what I would do if she didn't live so close. They adore her to pieces, and I am forever grateful for her willingness to help out. 


And since Owen and Nathan's birthdays are just 8 days apart, Owen closing out the birthday mania on February 6th, we had a birthday party the Saturday (Feb. 2nd) between birthdays. Exactly 4 days after Nathan, and 4 days before Owen's! Good in concept, but planning a small family birthday party was not my brightest idea, since we were trying to move that SAME weekend! It was a little stressful. But it was pretty low key. 

My Birthday Boys!! 


We only invited close friends and family. Grandma/Grandpa, Shad's sister Heidi and her family, our best friends from law school, the Fischers, and Aunt Karen and Uncle Ben. Owen was thrilled with the people that came, and was so excited the entire time! Nathan didn't really know what was going on, but was happy to have presents, food, and cake! Score! I'm not sure how I'm going to ever deal with actual 
"Friend Parties" that seems like so much work!

The birthday spread: Chips, chicken salad sandwiches, meatballs, fruit, and veggies. 



The Thomas Cake. Not my best work, but I did do it sort of last minute and free hand. Owen LOVED it, and that's all that matters to me! He keeps asking me to make him another Thomas Cake or a Percy Cake! :) 


Getting ready to open gifts. 


Opening Aunt Karen and Uncle Ben's gifts. 


They love them, and we are so happy they came! 


 Nathan playing with some of his present loot!


Owen showing off some presents. Uno Moo! from Aunt Heidi, and play food and tools from Mommy and Daddy! 



These boys are so spoiled! They made out like bandits! 


Nathan with Grandpa. They are best buds. Nathan loves his Grandpa!



Aunt Heidi and cousin Julia. Two of Owen's favorite people ever! 

 

Finally, time for cake! Like I said, Owen loved his cake!  


Nathan was a little timid at first... not sure what to do with it. Owen on the other hand, had NO problem devouring every delicious bite!



 Nathan caught wind of the deliciousness and finally dug in! 


And finally, on Owen's actual birthday he had another day full of fun and all things Owen. We kicked off the day with going to McDonalds breakfast! Owen LOVES those hot cakes! Daddy went into work a little late so that he could tag along to celebrate our little boy. Owen was in heaven! Next the boys and I headed over to the Library, like we do most Wednesdays. Something he looks forward to each week. They moved the storytime to the library right next to the park. So the WHOLE time at the library he was begging to go to the park. Since it was an actual decent day AND it was his birthday I conceded. :) He loved being able to run around the park, and many of his library buddies joined him. 

Later, after lunch and naps. I actually had Activiy Days with the girls, so Grandma came and picked up Owen for a date! She took him to his favorite place, The SuperMall! He got to ride the Carosel, play, and she even took him shopping for new clothes! Then to top it off she took him out for a special dinner of Mac and Cheese and Oranges at Red Robin! They even sang to him, gave him a balloon, and free ice cream! Lucky Duck!


The birthday boy with his 'I'm 3 today' button! Look at that mischievous face! 


Alyssa, another one of Owen's favorite people, came over earlier last week and dropped off the boys  birthday presents. (I know, more presents!?) A GIANT cardboard train that you can color and play in! Pure awesomeness. It may just take up our entire new home! :) 

Love this little Ham! 


Owen is all about birthdays now! He keeps asking "Why is my birthday over from?" The next birthday in our house will be Baby Sister! So he has a while before we will be celebrating any more birthdays around here! :) And I'm sure glad to have a little break! Phew! 

Love my Birthday Boys!! It's certainly fun having birthdays so close together! Hopefully next year we won't be moving right in the middle of it all! :) 

3 comments:

Kambria said...

Aw the photo with my parents is SUPER adorable. They love the boys so much. And um HELLO that cake is amah-zing!!! Are you kidding me?

Rachel said...

So fun that you can celebrate their birthdays together. It makes the magic even better!
And the train cake is great! Maybe one day I'll try my hand, but that kind of stuff gives me serious stress just thinking about it!
I love the giant cardboard train at the end. How fun!

Rosalie said...

How fun! I love all the pictures of everyone loving the boys! I loved watching on Skype...so thanks for letting me share that way too! They are just too adorable and I am excited to come visit!