Monday, January 31, 2011

An Update on the Ordinary


Things have been pretty quiet and ordinary here in the McOmber home since we've been back from the Holidays. But I just thought I would give a little update on us:

Shad is back at school working hard at this FINAL semester. Last semester was a success, he did awesome and made the Deans List again! He is currently working on getting all registered to take the BAR exam in July (YIKES!), and is ready to be done with school FOREVER! He is always working hard. He has a job that has kept him pretty busy these past few weeks, as well as school. And I'm sure his upcoming law review project will be no exception. He of course, is a wonderful father and husband. Since he gets home after Owen is already in bed, he makes sure to take time out each morning to wake up with Owen and spend some daddy play time with him, while mom gets to SLEEP in! Love it!

I'm just enjoying the perks of being a stay at home mom! Me and Owen just get to hang out ALL day and play, play, play! He is hilarious and always keeps me going. I've also been trying to keep up with some goals I have set for myself this year, usually I am not one to do "New Year Resolutions", but with the more free time I have being at home I decided to do it. PLUS, it really helps me have something to look forward to, things to work at, and makes me feel like a more productive part of society! I've also been trying to be more outgoing and independent taking Owen out. With Owen's first year already over its time to be less of a hermit mom! Here are some of my New Year goals:
-Read 24 books this year (2 a month)
-Take a cooking class & Be better at making dinner!
-Read Scriptures everyday (something I am SO bad at!)
-Attend Temple more
-Watch less TV (Those first couple months with Owen at home got me in the bad habit of watching too much TV)
-Play my violin more (A goal I have already increased.... the ward finally found out I play and had me play on SUNDAY... it was terrifying! Im not sure if I will be willing to do it again.)

Owen is growing by the minute and is discovering the world around him! He is such a little Gibber-gabber! He talks all day long! It cracks me up! He is the joy of our life, and makes us smile everyday. Just right now he is sitting there talking away. His little personality is coming out full on and he is such a funny little boy! His first birthday is on Super Bowl SUNDAY this week and I am really trying to keep it together! I cannot believe its been a year! WHAT!? We are having a party on Saturday, in which many law school and ward friends are coming. And my parents! We are excited to celebrate!

Like I said, nothing too exciting, just the ordinary life of the McOmbers. But we like the ordinary! Life is good. :)

A blog post would not be complete without photos, here are some of Owen's recent favorite things:

Owen has always loved books and loves being read too! Here was a sweet moment I caught of my two boys:

Owen also loves looking out the window, this was yesterday morning. He looked so funny with his crazy morning hair. But he sure loves it!

He has his top teeth coming in... hilarious!

Owen also thinks its HILARIOUS to give me kiss attacks! He grabs my face and slobbers ALL over it. So funny.

This picture I took about 20 minutes ago, he was just talking and laughing with his bear buddy.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

MAN, that is one cute kid!! Good for you with your goals! Do you know where you're going to take a cooking class? That is something I could REALLY use help with, too.

Rosalie said...

Wow, you all are way busy...I am so proud of Shad too! I wish he would keep his Mom better informed of how he is doing!
I am glad you got to play the violin and I encourage you to continue. Also, it it good to have goals so keep up the good work! :}
The pictures are adorable and I miss you all so much. I am looking forward to you all coming in the spring!!! :}

Chelsea said...

SOO cute! I like your cooking goal... I could do such a better job at feeding my family well. I think you're a great mom and am excited for this next year for yall!

Brad and Kjirstin said...

You guys make the cutest little family. Good luck on your goals, I had some goals in mind for the year, but if Charly always takes this much time I don't know if I will make it. Besides loving Owen's pictures at the window, I am so so so jealous of that view with green trees and the mountains, gorgeous.

Marilyn said...

I love those pearly whites. What a great smile he has :) Good luck this weekend with the party!! It will be so fun. Wish I could have heard you play the violin. How did it go??

Joel & Megan said...

Oh my goodness...what a cutie!!! I can't believe he'll be one year old either. He is such a stud and I love how he likes to be read to all the time. So cute!!! Also, way to go on your goals! I think I might copy you and read two good books a month. That's a good idea.