Wednesday, July 20, 2011

17.5 Months



Our little Owen is growing like CRAZY. He is such a little boy now, and less of our little baby boy. I was going to do an 18 month post about him... but since we are going to be in FINLAND when he turns 18 months I thought I would do it now. :) Before the packing, planning, shopping, and craziness starts before the trip! Its more a journal entry about our little guy... and so I can look back and see what our little man was up to!

Owen has changed SO much in these last 6 months, oh my goodness! These last 6 months I've seen a more drastic change in him than any other time. Its amazing how much he is learning everyday. Walking seemed to be the real turning point in everything: how he thinks, what he does, and how much he has learned. He is like a sponge. He soaks up everything, and copies everything! He is our little chatter box. I swear he learns 2-5 new words a day! And oh boy is he smart! He can recite some of his ABCs, he can help count to 10, he knows his animal sounds (and MANY other sounds), he points at pictures and identifies the object, letter, or animal. I wish I could list out all the words you say and know... but there are just too many! And he is starting to put two words together and create mini-sentences! It just amazes me how much he is learning and growing each day!

As always, Owen loves books. Books, books, books... all day long. He loves to go to the library weekly and pick out new ones. He loves storytime at the library. And he loves his room because he knows that he can get free roam of his own personal library. Anytime I leave him alone in his room, I come back to a room covered in books, and hardly any left on the shelf! If I let him, he would read all day everyday!


He is also our little spit-fire! He is ALL boy... he likes to hit, scratch, bite, pull hair, scream, and my not-so personal favorite head-butt. Luckily he seems to keep this to only those he is close to, and not other children. But with mommy, daddy, grandma, and grandpa he sure likes to test his boundaries and push that fine line! But he really is our sweet little boy. Even though he often scratches and bites in "self-defense" he makes up for in kisses and hugs. And he really tries to be helpful and share with others.

When he is not at home, he is just my little shy guy. He won't say much to others, and he clings to mommy and daddy at the park, library, store, etc. He likes other children, however, he is still very leery about them. But he is getting better and more outgoing as I take him out more and more.

He LOVES outside. He always wants to grab his "shoes" and go "outside" everyday. He loves trees, plants, rocks, grass, and birds. He loves our little outings to the parks, zoos, or aquariums. He loves animals: all kinds. He'll stop for any dog or cat on the street and try to follow them, hug them, kiss them, and pet them! He's really into sharks and turtles right now. "Charks" is one of his new favorite words. Owen also is really into CARS. He loves to play with cars, and anytime he seems the movie CARS on the self he begs to watch it! He is always exploring the world around him at all times! Everything is new and exciting!

(This was at the Shark Tank at Point Defiance on Monday!)

He kept shouting "Whoa!" and knocking on the glass to get their attention. I don't think he really knows how dangerous Sharks are since he loves them so much.... Hmm??


Overall... I LOVE this stage! It definitely has its hard days, and by the end of the day I'm beat! But its so fun to watch him learn and grow. He is just so much fun. This is what being a mother is all about!

Dear Owen,

I love you more than I can ever put into words. When your little face lights up with that big cheesy smile my heart just melts. I want nothing more to make sure you are happy and healthy, and taken care of. Your sheer cuteness allows you to be spoiled by ALL those who know you! You are nothing but a joy to us and a blessing.

You are my feisty little guy! You know how to get what you want and you certainly fight for it! Your BIG personality comes shinning through everything you do. You have a certain eye for detail and have many little personality quirks that show your perfectionist preferences! And I love it! It shows that you take after your momma! You love to learn new words, letters, numbers, books, etc. Your thirst for knowledge is so amazing. Your memory is so keen and vibrant. You have a talent for learning new things and retaining lots of information. You are so vocal and I often get many compliments on how smart you are and how much you know and recognize! Its just who you are... you are just smart. I take no credit. :) Maybe its all those books...???

Like always your family loves and adores you. You absolutely ADORE your daddy. Just tonight, you would not let anyone put you to bed, comfort you, or anything except him. Your face lights up when he enters the room. And the same goes for Shad. You two are a match made in heaven! Your grandparents just eat you up. I don't think there are two people who appreciate you and adore you more than them. They never take any moment with you for granted. You are so lucky.

You are my greatest accomplishment. I am still amazed at the fact that I get to be your mother. You make me CRAZY some days and let me chase you all day long... but there is nothing I would rather do then spend my days with you. I love you.

Love,
Momma




1 comment:

Rosalie said...

Your letter to Owen is sooo sweet and it makes me miss you all very, very much! I need to be able to visit more often! It is just not fair!!! :{ :{
What a wonderful little boy you are becoming Owen! I love you and miss you! Love Grandma Rosalie