Monday, August 23, 2010

Sleep, Kind Sleep, Welcome Back


(Not sure how he managed to get his shorts off! hehe)
Owen is now 6 months, for the past 6 months Owen has either slept in his bouncer OR most of the time, in the bed with us. I'll admit that I was rather fond of the whole family bed/sleep sharing idea, it was so sweet to snuggle and cuddle my little guy all night long. Plus it made nighttime feedings SO much better. However, I knew the time would come when I would have to end the sleep sharing and get Owen into his own room and bed. It was getting to the point were none of us were getting much sleep anymore, and the nighttime feedings are over. Shad and I committed to a new routine and sleep situation. We decided that nothing else was working so we just had to let our little guy 'cry it out'. It was horrible. That first night Owen cried for 1 hour and 45 minutes, and I cried with him. TORTURE. But we stuck to our guns and continued the next few days, the next day it was 10 minutes, then 5 minutes, then no crying at all! And this only took a week!!! Its still very new, and there are nights were he will still cry for 5-10 minutes, but then blissful silence. Owen sleeps in his own bed, and more importantly he sleeps through the night! Occassionaly he will wake up cry and wimper a little, then go right back to sleep within a couple minutes. We are all getting much more sleep these days. Oh blissful sleep, how I've missed you these last several months! I sure hope this lasts!

Naps are little bit of a different story, its hit or miss with naps. But... one battle at a time right?!?!

He loves to snuggle his little bear blanket buddy. Its so sweet.


And these are just cute... He was sportin' a mohawk:

Love that smile!


6 comments:

Courtney said...

Hooray! Sleep is a wonderful thing! I love the first picture with his shorts halfway off. Priceless!

Brad and Kjirstin said...

That is so lucky that the crying phase was fast. Our neighbor's little boy cries for hours it seems like (I can hear him when I am in the basement doing laundry) and they have been letting him cry himself to sleep for almost 6 months now.

Marilyn said...

Wow. Way to go. Oh, I bet you guys are just finally remembering what sleep (real sleep) is like. Enjoy.

~Doug

Joel & Megan said...

Oh I remember those no sleep days. Alice wasn't a good sleeper. For the first little while whenever I would lay her down she would wake up. She only would sleep in our bed. It took till about when she was 8 months that she consistently slept through the night and it was WONDERFUL! I'm glad to hear that Owen is letting y'all sleep. It's so wonderful!

Debbie Cannon said...

Congratulations on getting Owen into his own bed. That is always a major feat. Glad that you have met with success. The photos are so adorable! Hope to see you in town soon!

Rosalie said...

What adorable pictures. I am glad he did not take long to get to where he slept through the night! I miss you all soooooo much!